Friday, March 1, 2013

Hi readers!

Aside from knitting, I enjoy painting and have a small hobby of painting old furniture to spice it up a bit. I love color and I love funky things and I think bringing pops of colors and patterns into interior decoration in unusual ways is very hip at the moment. I'm a huge fan of bright colored upholstery and patterned walls, but not too much! One piece of something colorful and beautiful can make a room.

I have done three pieces so far, a dresser, a coffee table and an outdoor table. The first two I painted with acrylic paint and finished them with a clear oil based finish, but I am going to venture into doing it properly with oil paint. This is how they turned out.




The dresser is my favorite and I just wish I had spent the time and effort to do it in an oil based paint. I'm no expert painter, I'm still experimenting with what works best.

Unfortunately the outdoor table I painted got broken in a move, so I have no photos, but I took an old table that had been damaged in the rain and sanded it down and painted it with beautiful forest green and white paint. I made a kind of twirly design with the white on green and the table became a great piece of patio furniture.

Last week I bought an old coffee table for 500 Icelandic Krona, about $4 and am looking forward to more experimenting.

3 comments:

  1. I love those pieces, Marta. Like you, I think the dresser is fantastic, particularly the leaf motif on the top. But, the end table is very beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is Grace, btw -- that's my Live Journal ID

    ReplyDelete